Monday, April 27, 2009

Matching Buttprints?

Our office has been talking about getting new office chairs for a while. Staff members have been complaining. Directors have been dropping hints. There have been all around grumblings about the sorry state of disrepair our current chairs are in. Buzz words like ergonomically correct and lumbar support were floating through the air. But up to this point, that's been as far as the conversation has gone.

So, imagine my surprise when today a truckload of chairs arrived this morning and were deposited in the mailroom. Wow, I thought to myself, they (you know, the powers that be) must have really heard us this time. They really went all out! And then I went in for a closer inspection...

And yes, while I'm sure they do have great lumbar support and are in better shape than our current chairs, they are USED chairs.



Apparently, we bought them from a big company down in the Springs. Any excitement about getting new chairs went out the window when I discovered they were hand-me-downs. We have received the office equivalent to garage sale clothes or lunch program meals. And have we not asked ourselves WHY the company is getting rid of them in the first place? They are worn. They are dusty. The fabric is a bit faded. AND they have butt prints. You know what I'm talking about. That little double dip on the seat that just screams someone else's backside has been on me for a long time. What if I get a chair who's butt print doesn't match up to mine??? Are we all going to sit around at the next staff meeting and test them all out? And if they don't fit, how exactly do we bring that up to next person trying it on for size? I'm sorry, this didn't fit me, but I think your A** is bigger than mine so it should work for you? Hmm. Does anyone else see the harassment possibilities here? I think I'd rather keep my non-lumbar supporting chair, thank you very much. At least I know where it's been.

No comments:

Post a Comment